Friday, October 14, 2005

People seem so much more relaxed in the Midwest.

Having spent the day with some very good friends yesterday, I enjoyed the freedom of not having to worry about what people thought of me. In the streets of Philadelphia I tend to feel like an outsider, but sitting in a greasy dinner with Leadfoot and BamBam and Mark yesterday talking about all manner of crude things, I had a real sense of belonging.

The three wonderful years in the Netherlands were great except that I often felt like an outside, an American alien in a sea of Dutch. In Philadelphia I feel the same way to an extent. The loud voices and gruff straightforwardness of the locals comes off to me as rude and unnecessary.

Perhaps it is this that I long for: to feel like I belong again, to feel like I am with "my people."

JB aka JayBee created this post at 10:35 AM.



Name: JB aka JayBee

Home: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States





Current Moon






Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional



Design by Beccary